Sunday 17 March 2013

Mike's Mushrooms - Update 2

I finished the first section of the embroidery and spent quite a bit of time cursing the 1 and 2 stitch's I had to do for some colours as I did so. While I could have left them till I needed the colours later on in the project I really want to just do one section completely before moving on to the next. What can be seen in the completed section is how real it looks - even in such a small section. What you can also see is how odd the next section looks right now - almost as if I've completely ruined things. I certainly hope this isn't the case and have put my trust in the pattern.

You may notice that the colour of my lines are different - this is because someone reminded me that pencil isn't all that easy to remove, especially from between lines of stitching so I've changed to the water soluble pen I had forgotten I had.

About this project:
This is a "large" and complicated cross stitch project based on a photograph by a really talented Alaskan photographer who was incredibly kind and said I could make a cross stitch of it. The photographer is Mike Gates, go check out his site - his work is amazing!

The pattern was made for me as a prize for winning a competition on dA. It's 10 inches wide  x 14 1/2 inches high = 180 x 261 stitches on 18 ct coffee dyed Aida and it uses 147 colours. I am truly intimidated but I did ask for the pattern to be as close to the photo as possible and didn't limit size or colours and I certainly got what I asked for

2 comments:

  1. Have you updated Mike on your progress? You really should so he can share it with his people. And yes, trust the pattern because Pinky knows what she's doing and I haven't yet seen one of her patterns miss the mark :D

    Doing it in sections is what I'm going to do with Project 2 because it is so terribly complicated (like this one you are working on now).

    Now quit reading this and get back to stitching! **cracking whip at you**

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm... no *looks guilty* I've been making sure to link to his site as much as I can as he deserves the exposure but not actually let him know what I've been doing lately - I will remedy that *before* I go back to stitching ;)

    I was nervous about the first section of the pattern but that came out so well that I know I can trust it now :) Pinky did a grand job with this pattern and I'm so excited to see the finish!

    I can't wait to see your updates! It kind of feels fun that we are both working on a complicated project at the same time :)

    Yes boss but may I also cook dinner?

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.