Friday 29 July 2011

Dolly bags..


With the kids going with my ex on holiday to Turkey for a fortnight they wanted a way to take their "Can't live without dollies" with them on the aeroplane as they haven't flown since they were very small and are a bit nervous. They waited till the last moment to tell me this (of course), so I made them a dolly carrier each - with fabrics they chose of course as they were allowed to choose anything from my stash that was big enough for the project.

I kept it simple and used a 20" x 9" rectangle of fabric each for the inner and outer cover placed right sides together and placed some super strong cut away stabiliser from Madeira (that I happened to have lying around) on top and sewed most of the way around. I then turned it right side out and sewed the seam shut.  Then I added some Velcro and the strap before sewing the side seams closed and turning it right sides out. This makes the flap a little bigger than the sides but I was doing it the fast and dirty way as I didn't have much time to do this in.

To make the straps I used a strip of 3" x WOF (that's Width Of Fabric for the non quilters reading this) folded in half right sides together - sewed the seam and tuened it before sewing a line 1/4 away from each side to keep it flat.

It took me 2 1/2 hours to make both bags and I finished about 5 minutes before my ex showed up to collect the kids.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all of the definitions for us non-quilters! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually thinking of you when I wrote that <3

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.